November 21, 2017
James Sayce will be speaking at the OBA Class Actions Law Program, “Class Actions: A Powerful Tool for Seeking Redress Against the Crown” on November 21, 2017. The online Program will run from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm and will explore the following issues:
- Are class actions an appropriate mechanism for seeking redress against the Crown?
- Can class actions provide an appropriate remedy for institutional abuse?
- If government programs have been improperly administered should recourse be to the Courts, or Parliament, or both?
- Is our class actions regime properly structured to adjudicate mass torts, or does it require amending?
- What ethical issues arise on the plaintiff and defence side when litigating institutional abuse and other historic claims?
- What are the current and future trends in class actions against the Crown?